Monday, January 17, 2011

Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Pillows


This year i promised myself to try to make at least one vegan dish a week and this is my dish for this week and boy was it amazing!!! My girlfriend, writer of taste for healthy, had gone on a baking extravaganza over Christmas break and introduced me to the book  vegan cookies invade your cookie jar. I was in the store and found a copy and opened the book to this page and i knew this recipe and i were perfect for each other. I got all my ingredients out, told my honey what i was cooking up and we both waited to taste this amazing creation. It is the perfect mix of chocolate and salty peanut butter. YUMMM YUMMM YUMMM I highly recommend trying this healthy twist on a peanut butter cookie.  Until next time... remember to just "shut up and eat". 

Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Pillows

For the Chocolate Dough
            1/2 cup canola oil 1 cup sugar
            1/4 cup agave Honey 
            3 tablespoons vanilla almond milk
            1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract 
            1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 
            1/3 cup & 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder 
            1/2 teaspoon baking soda 
            1/4 teaspoon salt


For the Filling
3/4 cup your favorite peanut butter
2/3 cup powdered sugar 
2 to 3 tablespoons vanilla almond milk
1 tbsp pure vanilla extract


Make the Dough
In a large mixing bowl, combine oil, sugar, maple syrup, nondairy milk, and vanilla and mix until smooth. Sift in flour, cocoa powder, black cocoa powder if using, baking soda, and salt. Mix to form a moist dough.



Make the peanut butter filling
In another mixing bowl mix peanut butter, powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons of the vanilla almond milk, and vanilla to form a moist but firm dough. 



Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.


Shape the Cookies

Create the centers of the cookies by rolling the peanut butter dough into 1 inch balls. Then make 1.5 inch balls of chocolate dough and then flatten it in your hand and put the peanut butter ball in the middle as shown above. Once ready squish all the sides up around the peanut butter and then you are ready to bake. 
Place the dough balls on lined baking sheets about 2 inches apart and bake for 10 minutes. Remove the sheet from the oven and let the cookies stand for 5 minutes before moving them to wire racks to complete cooling.

4 comments:

  1. Yum!!!! I've been eyeing this recipe! You make it look so easy! When can I come over for dessert? ;)

    P.S. You are officially a stylish blogger! http://tasteforhealthy.blogspot.com/2011/01/thank-you-for-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zack and i move in to our new apt at the end of the month. it is a little smaller (but 300 dollars cheaper a month) so i will need your help sproosing it up and i definitely want to throw a super bowl party this year even though i really know nothing about football. will you be my cooking buddy? and this new apt you have to come see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is Ashley's sister :-) She gave me that book for xmas, and this was the first recipe that I wanted to try! I haven't made them yet, but glad to hear they are delicious (like I had any doubts)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. these cookies lasted two days in my house and there are only two of us here. Hee hee they were amazing and way easier to make then they look. Have fun and tell me if there are any other cookies i need to try out in that book. later

    ReplyDelete